This is a very fun project and the soaps make lovely gifts! Enjoy the free tutorial to see if you will like doing this :D
-- one, boxed 2 x 4" organic, lemon scented Gardener's soap (85% organic ingredients)
* Saponified oils of sunflower* and/or safflower*, coconut*, and palm* (with retained glycerin), essential oils of lemon, lavandin, orange, and patchouli, apricot kernel, ground coffee*, jojoba oil*, rosemary extract
*ingredients marked with an asterisk are certified organic
*Gardener's Hand Soap is full of exfoliants - ground apricot kernels and coffee - to help clean the dirtiest hands. lemon scented
-- enough roving & embellishments to make one full sized bar or two smaller soaps (by
cutting bar in two :)
-- Fibers may/may not include, but is not limited to:
* Corriedale Cross
* Mohair, Mohair locks
* lamb's locks
-- Purple drawstring organza bag -- for felting and gifting!
-- Packaged in a biodegradable, cello bag
-- Free Instructions (see below)
*If you would like to pick out your own fibers, You can find many roving colors and fibers here: http://etsy.me/1Rgu82T
-- Color Coordinated Kits: http://etsy.me/1KfcuY2
-- Roving: http://etsy.me/1Rgu82T
-- Firestar and Sparkle: http://etsy.me/1hJPNEt
You will need:
-- warm, soapy water
-- felting needle(s)
-- cheese grater
-- blending brushes, hand carders, pet brushes
Soap felting Tutorial. Free for the reading :D
1.If you would like to felt your soap in the existing rectangle, simply proceed to the next step. If you prefer, you can carve, shape the wool into an egg, an oval-or a rock! Soap is soft enough the you can shape it with with a butter knife, cheese grater (the small holes work best)
--- If you keep the shavings (by working over a plate or bowl) you can smash them in your fist and then into the main bar to further change the soap shape!
2. Blend the desired wools with the desired colors and/or embellishments so that the wool will trap the non-wool elements.
--- Make certain that you use 80-90% wool in your soap covering or it may not felt adequately ---
--- You can do this with a blending board and brushes, hand carders, drum carder, or even your fingers. If you prefer, we can card a little batt for you. (see options)
--- If you are a needle felter, you can lay it out the wool and needle felt it flat and then an image into the wool before proceeding to the next step.
3. Wrap a thin layer of this blended or felted wool around the soap until it is covered completely.
4. Here comes the trickiest part! Very carefully, insert the wool and soap bar into the organza bag and close the drawstring. Fold the bag over so that the soap and wool are snug and hold it this way while working.
5. Briefly wet organza bag w/soap in a bowl of warm to hot water. Roll soap between hands to build a lather. Continue this action, wetting the soap again as needed, for about 4-7 minutes until the soap is completely felted. You'll know it is ready if you try to pinch the wool through the stocking and the wool is firm. If it forms a tiny "tent" give it another minute or two of agitation.
6. Remove felted soap from bag, allow both to dry. If your soap is too fuzzy for your liking, you can wet it again and agitate/felt it further later. You can also use a sweater shaver to "de-fuzz" it.
7. If you would like to use your organza bag for giving, lay your organza bag out flat to dry. You can iron it with a warm-not hot-iron to remove any wrinkles.
*** Keep in mind that you need far less wool and embellishments for the process than our photos may/may not illustrate. Photos are meant to show some of the fiber possibilities.
*** If you are very sensitive skin, you may want to forgo sparkly fibers as they may be too rough on your skin. Let us know you want us to leave them out. We understand if you want them for another project too!
1-3 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
We have a handful of wholesale accounts, but at this time, we are not looking for more. We thank you for your interest :)
The ability to customize, personalize orders is the number one reason we work mostly on a "made to order" basis. We want you to have everything just as you need/want it! We understand that this makes our shipping times slower, but we hope you will agree that we are worth the wait :)
Not always. Let us know if this is important, and we will make it happen.
It's a long, convoluted answer having to do with the fact that we offer variations of weight in our batts and other items. We pay the extra shipping on larger batts, but we have no way of setting the shipping lower on the sample sizes, so we have to meet somewhere in the middle --which is often WAY too much if you are ordering a quantity of sample batts.
And yes. We can fix it, just message us. Or.. check out and leave us a note reminding us to refund your excess shipping. Either way, we understand. We hate overpaying for shipping too :D
If we forgot them, of course we will :D
But first... take a peek on the side of the foam. 99.99% of the time, they are there, just overlooked.
We dye a very large proportion (80-90%!!) of our wool, Firestar and Silk. We're really proud of the number of colors we offer-- and we only have plans to do more. We do this because it the work we love to do, it's one of many things that we think make our work worthwhile, special. Additionally, we do not want our batts sitting in inventory, compacting from lack of use. And then... what if you want to customize the batt? We do that too :D
We make our batts to order because we make them for you. We think they are worth the wait and hope that you will too. Naturally, if you need something faster, let us know. We work magic, that's what we do :D